Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Boyband Era

I was going through my twitter feed earlier and an old school pal posted lyrics to a Backstreet Boys song.

I'm ashamed to say, I used to love the Backstreet Boys. You could even say I was obsessed at one point - the sappy declarations of love, the cheesy music video closeups of Nick Carter seranading to me through the television, the synchronized choreography and lip syncing. But hey, I was 12. 

So 12 years later, I decided to put on a BSB  YouTube playlist at work, amused that I can still remember every lyric of every song they released in the 90s.

As I silently mouthed the words to "I'll Never Break Your Heart" and "Anywhere For You", I realized that they are the ones to blame for some of the idealistic (and highly unrealistic) expectations of love and relationships rampant in my generation. Well BSB per se, but rather the boyband boom of the 90s with their exaggerated songs of eternal and unconditional devotion. My 80s babies will know exactly what I'm talking about.

If we take a closer look at these lyrics, we'll now realize how stupid the songs really are.

1. I'll Never Break Your Heart by the Backstreet Boys
I'll never break your heart
I'll never make you cry without you
I'll give you all of me
I'd rather die than live

Yeah, right.

2. Anywhere For You by the Backstreet Boys
I'd walk halfway around the world
For just one kiss from you
The sun, the stars, the mo
Far beyond the call of love As long as your love's there to lead me
the darkest night you know
I won't lose my way, believe me

Now, I'm a true romantic but you've got to be kidding!

They're very catchy, sure. But I guess that's the intention with which all the songs were written... catchy love bug songs that give naive young women everywhere a false impression of love in the 3rd degree. It's no wonder that popular music tastes have now evolved into angsty punk songs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, subject to moderation.