Friday, September 24, 2010

Happiest Birthday

My birthday this year revolved around some really awesome bars with some really awesome friends.

Blu Jaz Cafe
 
 

I invited some of my closest friends and then some whom I hadn't seen for a while for dinner, drinks and a puff at Blu Jaz Cafe, located at 11 Bali Lane, in the cultural heart of the city centre. This intimate little bar boasts ample al fresco seating, a cosy interior and even a private party room on the upper floors. You'd be very pleased to find that the food is very yummy, served in generous portions and yet extremely reasonably priced. I think Blu Jaz is a great hangout, for their beer towers and their flavoured hookahs. 

Fabrika
 
 
 

On Wednesday, the day of my actual birthday, some colleagues and I decided to have some drinks in the newly opened Fabrika bar that sits on the open space of the 17th floor of our office building, Tower Fifteen on Hoe Chiang Road. The snazzy bar is decked in modern zen furnishings, softly illuminated by romantic lanterns and lamps. On a good day, the cool dawn breeze just welcomes you as you sink into one of Fabrika's plush armchairs or inviting daybeds. Smokers are allocated high tables near the edge with views of Keppel, a rare comfort from tiny stuffy smoking corners in most bars in Singapore. But ambience aside, Fabrika offers 1-for-1 from 5pm to 9pm daily on all loose alcohol drinks. This includes champagne, which my colleagues and I guzzled gleefully after a full day at work, while enjoying the setting sun in the blushing distance.

Gem Bar & Lounge
 
 
 

After the loveliest dinner at Senso on Saturday evening, the better half led me to a cheeky surprise party at our favourite bar on Ann Siang Hill. I was so bowled over to see almost all our good friends there and smiling. It completely made my year, much less my week! As if having my lovely friends there with me wasn't enough, he ordered a big bouquet of foil balloons, remembered that I love strawberry swirl cheesecake and even got the cutest Disney princess paper plates for the cake. I really couldn't have asked for anything more; I went to bed totally contented that night... only to find it just keeps getting better the next morning when I woke up to my iPad! I personally thought that Gem was the perfect location to host the surprise get together. There was enough room to fit all my friends, with the serious drinkers spilling over onto the bar and the others sprawled across the luscious sofas. The staff were very attentive, did their best to make everyone feel comfortable and we really did. 

Hence concluded one of the best and happiest birthdays I've ever had. 


1 comment:

Please feel free to leave a comment, subject to moderation.